Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Daybook Entry #2

More from Meditations.


“People try to get away from it all – to the country, to the beach, to the mountains. You always wish that you could too. Which is idiotic: you can get away from it anytime you like. By going within. Nowhere you can go is more peaceful – more free of interruptions – than your own soul. Especially if you have other things to rely on. An instant’s recollection and there it is: complete tranquility. And by tranquility I mean a kind of harmony” (Aurelius 37).
I really want to make this my ultimate goal. I am nowhere close to accomplishing this task.

“Choose not to be harmed – and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed – and you haven’t been” (39).
Easier said than done. Another goal of mine.

“Does what happened keep you from acting with justice, generosity, self-control, sanity, prudence, honesty, humility, straightforwardness, and all the other qualities that allow a person’s nature to fulfill itself” (48)?
Don’t let my past determine my present.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment