Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Daybook Entry #4


“The second step: Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy” (Meditations 102).
It is important to remind myself that I do not have all of the answers to life figured out. When I see someone else that seems to be off track, I should tell him or her in a calm and gentle manner. I should tell them in a way that is acceptable and respectful every time.

“Then remind yourself that past and future have no power over you. Only the present – and even that can be minimized. Just mark off its limits” (108).
This goes along with the eastern principle of living in the present. The present moment is all that matters. Once I attempt to think and analyze about the future, that present moment has already escaped me.

“External things are not the problem. It’s your assessment of them. Which you can erase right now” (110).
My perceptions about external phenomena have the ability to control my outlook on life. It is what creates this anxiety that has plagued my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment